Oya Cok, MD
Oya Yalcin Cok MD, EDRA is an Associate Professor of Anaesthesiology at Baskent University, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey and currently working as a consultant at Adana Research and Education Centre and as a teaching staff at Baskent University Vocational School for Anaesthesia Technicians.She has lectured and conducted workshops on topics related to anesthesiology, palliative care and pain medicine at national and international meetings. She was the organizing secretary of the 3rd World Congress of Ophthalmic Anaesthesia, May 2012, Ankara, Turkey. Her major clinical and educational interests include ophthalmic anaesthesia,regional anaesthesia, and pain therapy.She is a Board member and examiner of European Diploma of Regional Anaesthesia (EDRA).
She has published more than 50 papers in international and national journals, authored book chapters and had many presentations at the congresses as listed below:
1. Cok OY, Seet E, Kumar CM, Joshi GP. Perioperative considerations and anesthesia management in patients with obstructive sleep apnea undergoing ophthalmic surgery. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2019 Jul;45(7):1026-1031.
2. Karaca O, Pınar HU, Arpacı E, Dogan R, Cok OY, Ahiskalioglu A. The efficacy of ultrasound-guided type-I and type-II pectoral nerve blocks for postoperative analgesia after breast augmentation: A prospective, randomised study. AnaesthCrit Care Pain Med. 2019 Feb;38(1):47-52.
3. YalçınÇok O, EvrenEker H, Arıboğan A. Ketamine dosing for sedation during repeated radiotherapy sessions in children. Turk J Med Sci. 2018 Aug 16;48(4):851-855.
4. Eker HE, YalçınÇok O, BozdoğanÖzyılkan N, Arıboğan A. An add-on therapy for neuropathic pain: Infiltration block with diclofenac sodium and lidocaine through the hypertrophic scar tissue. Agri. 2019 Jan;31(1):46-49.
5. Öksüz G, Sayan M, Arslan M, Urfalıoğlu A, Öksüz H, Bilal B, Çok OY. The comparison of serratus anterior plane block versus intercostal block for postoperative analgesia following thoracotomy surgery.AnesteziDergisi 2018; 26(4): 223-228
6. Oya YALÇIN ÇOK. A new goal in opioid management in obese patients: opioid-free anaesthesia. AnesteziDergisi 2017; 25 (3): 117 – 121
7. Cok OY, Deniz S, Eker HE, Oguzkurt L, Aribogan A. Management of isolated infraorbital neuralgia by ultrasound-guided infraorbital nerve block with combination of steroid and local anesthetic. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia. 2017;37;146–148.
8. Eker HE, Cok OY, Aribogan A, Arslan G. The efficacy of intra-articular lidocaine administration in chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis: A randomized, double-blind, controlled study. AnaesthCrit Care Pain Med. 2017 Apr;36(2):109-114.
9. Eker HE, Cok OY, Çetinkaya B, Aribogan A. Oral 30% glucose provides sufficient sedation in newborns during MRI. J Anesth. 2017 Apr;31(2):206-211.
10. Ozmete O, Bali C, Cok OY, Turk HE, Ozyilkan NB, Civi S, Aribogan A. Sugammadex given for rocuronium-induced neuromuscular blockade in infants: a retrospectıve study. J Clin Anesth. 2016;35:497-501.
11. Ozmete O, Bali C, Cok OY, Ergenoglu P, Ozyilkan NB, Akin S, Kalayci H, Aribogan A. Preoperative paracetamol improves post-cesarean delivery pain management: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Anesth. 2016;33:51-7. 12. NesrinBozdoganOzyilkan, Oya Yalcin Cok, AnisAribogan. The „alligator mouth‟ or „reflective intubation‟ manoeuvre? Describing and modifying the same useful technique for difficult intubation. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2016; 33:65–66
13. Bali C, Ergenoglu P, Ozmete O, Akin S, Ozyilkan NB, Cok OY, Aribogan A. Comparison of the postoperative analgesic effects of naproxen sodium and naproxen sodium-codeine phosphate for arthroscopic meniscus surgery.Braz J Anesthesiol. 2016 Mar-Apr;66(2):151-6
14. Cok OY, Erkan AN, Eker HE, Arıbogan A. Practical regional blocks for nasal fracture in a child: blockage of infraorbital nerve and external nasal branch of anterior ethmoidal nerve. J Clin Anesth. 2015 Aug;27(5):436-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinane.2015.03.018.
15. MugeCoban-Karatas, Oya Yalcin Cok, Rana Altan-Yaycioglu. Comparison of sub – Tenon‟s anaesthesia in phacoemulsification with 3 and 5 mL lidocaine.Int Eye Sci 2015;15(11): 1847-1850.
16. Ergenoglu P, Akin S, Bali C, Eker HE, Yalcin Cok O, Aribogan A. Effect of low dose dexmedetomidine premedication on propofol consumption in geriatric end stage renal disease patients. Braz J Anesthesiol. 2015 Sep-Oct;65(5):326-32.
17. H.E. Eker, O.Y. Cok, A. Aribogan, G. Arslan. Management of neuropathic pain with methylprednisolone at the site of nerve injury. Pain Med 2012;13(3):443-51.
18. H.E. Eker, O.Y. Cok, P. Ergenoğlu, A. Ariboğan, G. Arslan. IV paracetamol effect on propofol-ketamine consumption in paediatric patients undergoing ESWL.J Anesth. 2012 Jun;26(3):351-6.
19. Pinar Ergenoglu, Sule Akin, Oya Yalcin Cok, EvrenEker, BarisKuzgunbay, TahsinTurunc, AnisAribogan. Effect of Intraoperative Paracetamol on Catheter-Related Bladder Discomfort: A Prospective, Randomized, Double-Blind Study. Current Therapeutic Research. 12/2012; 73(6):186–194.
20. O.Y. Cok, H.E. Eker, A. Pelit, S. Canturk, S. Akin, A. Aribogan, G. Arslan. The effect of paracetamol on postoperative nausea and vomiting during the first 24 h after strabismus surgery: a prospective, randomised and double-blind study. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2011;28(12):836-41.
21. O.Y. Cok, Z. Ozkose, H. Pasaoglu, S. Yardim. Glucose response during craniotomy: Propofol-remifentanil versus isoflurane-remifentanil. Minerva Anestesiol 2011;77(12):1141-8.
22. O.Y. Cok, M. Cekinmez, P. Ergenoglu, A. Aribogan. Ventilation difficulty due to herniation of inflating tube of the cuff inside the endotracheal tube. Middle East J Anesthesiol 2011;21(3):403-4.
23. O.Y. Çok, H.E. Eker, T. Çok, Ş. Akin, A. Ariboğan, G. Arslan. Abnormal uterine bleeding: is it an under-reported side effect after epidural steroid injection for the management of low back pain? Pain Med 2011;12(6):986.
24. O.Y. Cok, H.E. Eker, T. Cok, S. Akin, A. Aribogan, G. Arslan. Transsacral S2-S4 nerve block for vaginal pain due to pudendal neuralgia. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2011;18(3):401-4.
25. O.Y. Cok, H.E. Eker, A. Turkoz, A. Findikcioglu, S. Akin, A. Aribogan, G. Arslan. Thoracic epidural anesthesia and analgesia during the perioperative period of thoracic surgery: Levobupivacaine versus bupivacaine. J CardiothoracVasc Anesth 2011;25(3):449-54.
26. H.E. Eker, O. Yalcin Cok, A. Aribogan, G. Arslan. Children on phenobarbital monotherapy requires more sedatives during MRI. PaediatrAnaesth 2011;21(10):998-1002.
27. B. Gunaydin, O.Y. Cok. Hazards of topical ophthalmic drug administration. Trends in Anaesthesia and Critical Care 2011;1(1):31-4. 28. T. Erbas, M. Ertas, A. Yucel, A. Keskinaslan, M. Senocak; TURNEP Study Group.Prevalence of peripheral neuropathy and painful peripheral neuropathy in Turkish diabetic patients. J ClinNeurophysiol 2011;28(1):51-5.
29. O.Y. Cok, H.E. Eker, I. Yalcin, M. Barrot, A. Aribogan. Is there a place for beta-mimetics in clinical management of neuropathic pain? Salbutamol therapy in six cases.Anesthesiology 2010;112(5):1276-9.
30. O.Y. Cok, S. Akin, A. Aribogan, M. Acil, B. Erdogan, T. Bagis. Anesthetic management of a 29 week pregnant patient undergoing craniotomy for pituitary macroadenoma.Middle East J Anesthesiol. 2010;20(4):593-6.
31. O.Y. Cok. Divinumest opus sedaredolorem: pretending the divine in postoperative pain management. South Med J 2010;103(3):187.
32. H.E. Eker, O.Y. Cok, A. Aribogan. A treatment option for post-injection sciatic neuropathy: Transsacral block with methylprednisolone. Pain Physician 2010;13(5):451-6.
33. O.Y. Cok. Anaesthesia for eye examination. Current Anaesthesia & Critical Care 2009;20 (1):46-9.
34. H.E. Eker, O.Y. Cok, A. Aribogan. Alopecia associated with gabapentin in the treatment of neuropathic pain. Pain and Symptom Manage 2009;37(3): e5-6.P. 35. H.E Eker, O.Y. Cok, A. Kocum, M. Acil, A. Turkoz. Transsacrococcygeal approach to ganglion impar for pelvic cancer pain: a report of 3 cases. Reg Anesth Pain Med 2008; 33(4):381-2.
36. Ergenoglu, S. Askin, P. Poyraz, T. Turunc, M. Acil, E. Eker, O.Y. Cok, H. Ulger, A. Aribogan. Percutaneous nephrolithotomy in an ankylosing spondylitis patient: Point of view of an anaesthesiologist. Am J Case Rep 2008;9:395-8.
37. O.Y. Cok, H.E. Eker, S. Akin, A. Aribogan. A distressing complication in PACU after ventriculoperitoneal shunt externalization. The Internet Journal of Anesthesiology. 2008. Volume 16 Number 1.
38. O.Y. Cok, A. Ertan, M. Bahadir. Remifentanil versus fentanyl in combination with midazolam for retrobulbar block in cataract surgery. Saudi Med J 2008;29(4):544-8.
39. O.Y. Cok, A. Ertan, M. Bahadir. Comparison of midazolam sedation with or without fentanyl in cataract surgery.ActaAnaesthesiolBelg 2008;59(1):27-32.
40. O.Y. Cok, S. Salvarli, “Severe allergic reaction after administration of oxytetracycline hydrochloride eye ointment”, Ophthalmic Anaesthesia News – The newsletter of the British Ophthalmic Anaesthesia Society, 20-22 pp., 2008
41. O. Yalcin Cok, Z. Ozkose, S. Atabekoglu, S. Yardim. Intravenous patient-controlled analgesia using remifentanil in a child with Axenfeld-Rieger syndrome.PaediatrAnaesth 2005;15(2):162-6.
42. E. Öztürk, O. Yalcin Cok, A. Sezer, I. Gokyar, B. Tuncer, I. Gungor, B. Gunaydın, E.T. Talı, H. Celebi. MRI of central nervous system under general anaesthesia with laryngeal mask airway in childhood.Rivista di Neuroradiologia 2004;17(3): 521-7.
43. Z. Ozkose, O. Yalcin Cok, B. Tuncer, S. Tufekcioglu, S. Yardim. Comparison of hemodynamics, recovery profile, and early postoperative pain control and costs of remifentanil versus alfentanil-based total intravenous anesthesia (TIVA). J Clin Anesth 2002;14(3):161-8.
1. Chapter 3: Drug mechanisms in the elderly. Ipek Yalcin Christmann and Oya Yalcin Cok, Oxford Textbook of Anaesthesia for the Elderly Patient. Eds: Chris Dodds, Chandra Kumar, Bernadette Veering. Oxford University Press 2014, ISBN 978–0–19–960499–9.
2. Chapter 9. Pharmacological Considerations for Regional Anaesthesia – Ipek Yalcin, Oya Yalcin Cok. “Principles and Practice of Ophthalmic Anaesthesia” Edited by Dr.Jaichandran V V, Prof Chandra M Kumar and Dr.Jagadeesh V. 2017, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers. ISBN:978-93-86261-23-6
3. Chapter 17. Effect of Anaesthesia on Pupil and Lacrimal System – Oya Yalcin Cok, Ipek Yalcin “Principles and Practice of Ophthalmic Anaesthesia” Edited by Dr.Jaichandran V V, Prof Chandra M Kumar and Dr.Jagadeesh V. 2017, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers. ISBN:978-93-86261-23-6
4. Chapter 19. General Anaesthesia for Examination and Diagnostic Procedures in Children – Oya Yalcin Cok. “Principles and Practice of Ophthalmic Anaesthesia” Edited by Dr.Jaichandran V V, Prof Chandra M Kumar and Dr.Jagadeesh V. 2017, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers. ISBN:978-93-86261-23-6
5. Chapter Anesthesia for Pregnant Patient with Psychiatric Disorders. Oya Yalcin Cok In: BerrinGunaydin, Samina Ismail editors. Obstetric Anesthesia for Co-morbid Conditions. Chennai: Springer; 2018. p.145-154
Book /chapter translation to the Turkish language
1. Kumar C, Dodds C, Fanning G (Eds). Oftalmik Anestezi. YalçınÇok O (Çeviren/editör). KudretGözYayınları, Ankara 2007.
2. Barash PG, Cullen BF, Stoelting RK, Cahalan MK, Stock MC (Eds). KlinikAnestezi. Günaydın B, Demirkıran O (Çev. Ed.) 5. Baskı, Nobel Tıp Kitabevleri. 2012, İstanbul.YalçınÇok O, DeneyTasarımıveİstatistik. Bölüm 3, s:63-75. ISBN:978-975-420-823-8.
3. Heitmiller ES, Schwengel DA (Eds). Johns Hopkins Anesteziyoloji El Kitabı.Kayhan Z, Arıboğan A, YalçınÇok O (Çevirieditörleri). Nobel Kitabevi.2012, Adana. ISBN: 978-605-397-133-7
4. Barash PG, Cullen BF, Stoelting RK, Cahalan MK, Stock MC, Ortega R, Sharar SR (Eds). KlinikAnesteziTemelleri. YıldızKaramehmet (Çev. Ed.) Güneş Tıp Kitabevleri.2017, Ankara.YalçınÇok O, SıvılarveElektrolitler. Bölüm 23, s:427-450. ISBN:978-975-277-651-7.
Invited lectures and workshops at international meetings
1. “Ophthalmic examinations and anaesthesia”; 2nd World Congress of Ophthalmic Anaesthesia, 28-29 Şubat 2008, Kahire, Mısır.
2. “Pediatric Ophthalmic Surgery and Anesthesia”; Ophthalmic Anaesthesia Society, 22nd Annual Scientific Meeting 26-28 Eylül 2008, Chicago, IL, ABD.
3. “Choice and Preferences of Blocks for Postoperative Pain Relief Following Thoracic Surgery”; 11th Asian & Oceanic Society Of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine Congress; 23-26 Mayıs 2011, Nusa Dua Bali, Indonesia.
4. “Ophthalmic examination under anaesthesia in children”; 1st Ophthalmic Forum of Indian Society of Anesthesiologists Conference (OFISACON) 2011, 3-4 Eylül 2011, Chennai, India.
5. “Anaphylaxis after application of eye ointment following cataract surgery”; 1st Ophthalmic Forum of Indian Society of Anesthesiologists Conference (OFISACON) 2011, 3-4 Eylül 2011, Chennai, Hindistan.
6. “Anaphylaxis during Anaesthetic Management”; The 9th International Annual Meeting of Indonesian Society of Obstetric Anesthesia, Indonesian Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine – The 1st Indonesian Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologist Congress, 19-23 Şubat 2012, Jakarta, Indonesia.
7. “Ophthalmic investigation under anaesthesia in children”, VI Euro- Asian Conference of Ophthalmosurgery, Ekaterinburg, Russia, April 25-27, 2012
8. “Paediatric ophthalmic examination under anaesthesia”, III. World Congress of Ophthalmic Anaesthesia, Ankara, Turkey, 23-26/05/2012
9. “Retrobulbar neurolytic blocks for ophthalmic pain”, 3rd World Congress of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Therapy, Sydney, Australia, 3-7/02, 2013
10. “Paravertebral block workshop” 3rd World Congress of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Therapy, Sydney, Australia, 3-7/02, 2013
11. “Challenges of Lacrimal, Orbital and Oculoplastic Surgery” 2nd Ophthalmic Forum of Indian Society of Anesthesiologists Conference (OFISACON), 14-15 September 2013, Cochin, India.
12. “Supplementing RA during ophthalmic surgery” 4th World Congress of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Therapy, Cape Town, South Africa, 24-28 November 2014
13. “Regional Anesthesia for Ophthalmic Surgery”, Workshop, 4th World Congress of Regional Anaesthesia and Pain Therapy, Cape Town, South Africa, 24-28 November 2014
14. “If the eye is in trouble, we are in trouble” VII. Euro- Asian Conference of Ophthalmosurgery, Ekaterinburg, Russia, April 27-29, 2015
15. 3rd Symposium on Supportive Treatment and Palliative Care in Cancer. “Opioid management in Cancer Pain” Adana, 28-29 May, 2016.
16. “Postoperative Orbital Swelling” 4th World Congress of Ophthalmic Anaesthesia WCOA-2016, Chennai, India, 3-4 September 2016.
17. “A new goal in opioid management in obese patients: opioid-free anaesthesia.” Panel 24: Morbid Obez HastaylaBaşaÇikmak 50. TürkAnesteziyolojiveReanimasyonKongresi TARK 2016, İstanbul, 26 – 30 Ekim 2016
18. Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome: Ophthalmic Anesthesia Perspective. 4th Ofisacon Ophthalmic Forum of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists: 02/09/2017 – 03/09/2017, Hyderabad, Hindistan
19. Nerve blocks below the clavicle. 27th ESRA RA Cadaver Workshop, Innsbruck, Austria, 23-24 February 2018
20. “Local Anesthetic Pharmacology and Toxicity – Management of local anestheic toxicity” TemelRejyonelAnesteziKursu‟, İstanbul, 20-21 Nisan 2018
21. “Supplementing Ophthalmic Regional Anesthesia” VIII. Euro- Asian Conference of Ophthalmosurgery, Ekaterinburg, Russia, April 26-29, 2018
22. A “Good Sleep” is a Must. What to do While Prescribing Benzodiazepines in Cancer Patients who are Already on Opioids? The 66th Scientific Meeting of the Korean Pain Society Changwon, South Korea, 25-29 May 2018
23. Ophthalmic Pain and Treatment Modalities The 66th Scientific Meeting of the Korean Pain Society Changwon, South Korea, 25-29 May 2018
24. “What‟s new in ophthalmic regional anesthesia?”, 37th Annual ESRA Congress, 12/09/2018- 15/09/20172018, Dublin, Ireland
25. “When will we suspect our skills? Criteria for Unsuccessful Management in Regional Anesthesia”. 37th Annual ESRA Congress, 12/09/2018- 15/09/20172018, Dublin, Ireland
26. “Anesthesia for young patients with Duchenne MD and dilated cardiomyopathy” Oya YalçınÇok. 52. TürkAnesteziyolojiveReanimasyonKongresi TARK 2018, Antalya, 07 – 11 Kasım 2018
27. Nerve blocks below the clavicle. 28th ESRA RA Cadaver Workshop, Innsbruck, Austria, 21-22 February 2019
28. “Local Anesthetic Pharmacology” Basic Regional Anesthesia Course İstanbul, 1-3 Mart 2019
29. “Patient came back with paresthesia after RA: What should we do?” Basic Regional Anesthesia Course İstanbul, 1-3 Mart 2019
30. “Ophthalmic Regional Anaesthesia” National Regional Anesthesia Congress RejyonalAnesteziKongresi, 27/04/2019-30/04/2019, Kongre, Yurtiçi, Ulusal, Çeşme, İzmir
31. 5. OFISACON, Ophthalmic Forum of Indian Society of Anaesthesiolgists, 07/09/2019-08/09/2019, Bangalore, India 32. “Hands On Clinical Workshop 04 – The Thoracic & Abdominal Surgery Ormodern Anaesthesia/Analgesia For Breast And Thoracic Wall Surgery: BRILMA, PECS 1 AND 2” 38th Annual European Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Therapy Congress, 11/09/2019-14/09/2019, Bilbao, Spain.
33. Second Opinion Based Discussion – Chest wall blocks forbreast surgery: which,where, how? Relevantsonoanatomy, techniques and indications.Clinical relevance &consensus statement. 38th Annual European Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Therapy Congress, 11/09/2019-14/09/2019, Bilbao, Spain